Thursday, June 17, 2010

Getting Started





Garden Verses: The beginning

Wow Really?
That is all it takes? I said I want to start a blog about my garden, my bees, my chickens and my restaurant business, and my family. Click on how to start a blog and you are in. Why me? What do I have to offer? My life is full. I have all the balls in the air on any given day. I have been on this planet four and a half decades. I want to make my corner of the world better,stronger, happier, cleaner, more positive and more joyful.
Today:

Day off from work. That means no kitchen, no restaurant. No. Trying to get lost in the garden after a one hour spin class where I leave it all behind they call from work to catch up on the day. I have a lot to do here at home. The silkie rooster and the frizzle rooster have to go. They are just learning how to crow and the sound at 5:30 in the morning is like lambs being slaughtered. I know my neighbors cannot take this. My husband cannot take this. I cannot take this but I would never admit it! I love my dingy flock of mismatched chickens; Silkies, Austrolorps, Buff Orpingtons and Frizzles. How we got started with chickens is an entire new posting for a later date.


My good friend John A dropped off scrap wood from his carpentry job for the wood burning stove, but I could not burn up that quality wood, so we built two more raised bed boxes for the garden and added on. My son brought home bush beans, popcorn and green beans started in a paper towel and plastic baggie as part of his science/ clean out your desk end of the year project. i put those out along with the lettuce and basil my husband bought from the farmer who took the roosters. He brought them in a pet carrier and asked if they wanted any roosters. They sometimes take them, but she said she was not interested. She asked" where are the birds?" He replied " in the car; one is a grey silkie and the other is a frizzle" She went crazy because she always wanted a frizzle, so she took them both and he bought $5.oo worth of lettuce and basil. We can visit them in December when we go to cut our Christmas tree down.

I split the oregano and gave some to the neighbor. I watered the whole garden from the rain barrel. We checked the shallow supers on the beehive only to find that they have not filled out the foundation in the shallow supers. My husband jokes that maybe this year we will harvest our first jar of $500.00 honey. The bee project is not going well. Swarming, freezing and inexperience are working against us. I have the flowers and the nectar, I just cannot get them to make enough honey.



Tomorrow brings the opportunity to make the most of another gift of a day.







Queen Bee El

No comments:

Post a Comment